Ten Minutes With... Lewis Muir, Taking The Piste, And His Plans To Ski In All 7 Continents
Ten Minutes With… is part of a regular series of interviews with individuals and companies in various ski resorts around the world. They share their local alpine knowledge, insight into life in the mountains and how to live the alpine dream.
1. Do you live in (or near) a ski resort? Which would one you choose to live in if you don't?
I live in Teesside, not much of a mountain range up there! If I had to choose one I'd pick Morzine, awesome in the winter and awesome in the summer - win win.
2. Which is your favourite ski resort?
My favourite has got to be Val-d'Isère. There's so much to ski both on and off piste. Not to mention the good old Folie Douce.
3. What is the most important characteristic in a ski buddy?
I would say most important for me is someone who is enthusiastic and ready to go skiing. Nothing worse than being all set for the first lift of the day and your buddy is still asleep in bed.
4. Skier or Boarder?
Skier, although I don't mind an occasional shred on the board!
5. If you could buy a ski property in any resort, which one would it be?
St Anton in the Austria Alps. Best apres ski in the world!!
6. What does skiing/the mountains mean to you?
I gave up my well paid 9-5 job to follow a career in the mountains, it means a lot to me.
7. Which is your favourite season in the mountains?
Winter for sure, but a summer pedal is real good fun!
8. All-in-one or salopettes?
I'm a salopettes type of guy, but I'm yet to try an all-in-one so who knows I could be converted!
9. Fondue or raclette?
Anything with cheese has me sold, but if I had to choose I'd take a fondue.
10. Who would be your ideal ski/mountain companion?
Liam Gallagher, don't know if he can ski or board but I think he would keep me entertained.
11. Your favourite ski run?
Semmamil - Val'disere. I could ski it all day long.
12. Many people dream of moving to the mountains but you've made it a reality – how did you make it happen?
If you want to make your dream reality you have to find the courage to do it. I saved a lot of money to follow a ski instructing career and gave up my steady job to do it.
13. Describe your style in 3 words
Fast, fast, fast
14. How did the idea of Taking The Piste come about?
The idea of "takingthepiste" came from my girlfriend who said I should document my journey... a pretty good suggestion it turned out!
15. Tell us some more about your plans to ski in all 7 continents?
So my plans for the 7 continents have already started here in Europe. I've passed my BASI L2 Ski instructing course, which will hopefully take me to a ski instructing job in New Zealand this summer (the NZ ski season!). From NZ I'm pretty open to where my next destination could be but ideally I'd like Canada or Japan... but let's see how things go!
16. Which ski resorts are you planning to visit?
Cardrona in New Zealand
Whistler in Canada
Niseko in Japan
Oukaïmeden in Morocco
La Hoya in Argentina
17. Where are you planning to ski in Africa?!
There are a few places to ski in Africa and after a bit of research Oukaïmeden in Morocco seems the best place to go.
18. Can we come back to you in 6 months to find out how far you've got?
Of course you can!
If you are interested in any of the ski resort Lewis mentions, click here to read our Guides to Ski Resorts For Ski Property.
To find a dream ski property in Morzine, Lewis's choice of ski resort to live in, click here to browse our selection of Ski Properties For Sale In Morzine.
To speak to an alpine real estate agent worldwide, browse our Directory of Ski and Alpine Property Estate Agents Worldwide.
To Become the Owner of a Ski Property
Click here to start your search for your dream alpine property today!
Find out how to get a mortgage in the French, Swiss, Austrian or Italian Alps.
Read more about the best ski resort for your ski property purchase.
Get some tips on how to get the most out of your currency exchange.
Know what lies ahead with the purchase process our buying guides to property in Switzerland, France, Austria & Italy.